Assists biological and medical scientists in laboratories. Sets up, operates and maintains laboratory instruments and equipment, monitors experiments, makes observations, and calculates and records results. May analyze organic substances, such as blood, food and drugs.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Plant Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Conducts research or assists in the conduct of research, including the collection of information and samples, such as blood, water, soil, plants and animals.
- Analyzes experimental data and interprets results to write reports and summaries of findings.
- Keeps detailed logs of all work-related activities.
- Uses computers, computer-interfaced equipment, robotics or high-technology industrial applications to perform work duties.
- Cleans, maintains and prepares supplies and work areas.
- Sets up, adjusts, calibrates, cleans, maintains, and troubleshoots laboratory and field equipment.
- Measures or weighs compounds and solutions for use in testing or animal feed.
- Isolates, identifies and prepares specimens for examination.
- Conducts standardized biological, microbiological or biochemical tests and laboratory analyses to evaluate the quantity or quality of physical or chemical substances in food or other products.
- Examines animals and specimens to detect the presence of disease or other problems.