Cleans teeth and examines oral areas, head, and neck for signs of oral disease. May educate patients on oral hygiene, take and develop x rays, or apply fluoride or sealants.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cleans calcareous deposits, accretions, and stains from teeth and beneath margins of gums, using dental instruments.
- Records and reviews patient medical histories.
- Examines gums, using probes, to locate periodontal recessed gums and signs of gum disease.
- Feels and visually examines gums for sores and signs of disease.
- Exposes and develops x-ray film.
- Charts conditions of decay and disease for diagnosis and treatment by dentist.
- Maintains dental equipment and sharpens and sterilizes dental instruments.
- Feels lymph nodes under patient's chin to detect swelling or tenderness that could indicate presence of oral cancer.
- Provides clinical services or health education to improve and maintain the oral health of patients or the general public.
- Applies fluorides or other cavity preventing agents to arrest dental decay.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.