Diagnoses, adjusts, repairs, or overhauls farm machinery and vehicles, such as tractors, harvesters, dairy equipment, and irrigation systems.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Power, Structural and Technical Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Records details of repairs made and parts used.
- Reassembles machines and equipment following repair, testing operation and making adjustments as necessary.
- Maintains, repairs, and overhauls farm machinery and vehicles, such as tractors, harvesters, and irrigation systems.
- Examines and listens to equipment, reads inspection reports, and confers with customers to locate and diagnose malfunctions.
- Dismantles defective machines for repair, using hand tools.
- Tests and replaces electrical components and wiring, using test meters, soldering equipment, and hand tools.
- Repairs or replaces defective parts, using hand tools, milling and woodworking machines, lathes, welding equipment, grinders, or saws.
- Cleans and lubricates parts.
- Tunes or overhauls engines.
- Drives trucks to haul tools and equipment for on-site repair of large machinery.