Plans, directs, or coordinates the activities of buyers, purchasing officers, and related workers involved in purchasing materials, products and services.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Operations Management pathway.
A person in this career:
- Represents companies in negotiating contracts and formulating policies with suppliers.
- Directs and coordinates activities of personnel engaged in buying, selling, and distributing materials, equipment, machinery, and supplies.
- Interviews and hires staff, and oversees staff training.
- Locates vendors of materials, equipment or supplies, and interviews them to determine product availability and terms of sales.
- Prepares and processes requisitions and purchase orders for supplies and equipment.
- Develops and implements purchasing and contract management instructions, policies, and procedures.
- Maintains records of goods ordered and received.
- Analyzes market and delivery systems to assess present and future material availability.
- Participates in the development of specifications for equipment, products or substitute materials.
- Resolves vendor or contractor grievances, and claims against suppliers.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.