Officiates at competitive athletic or sporting events. Detects infractions of rules and decides penalties according to established regulations.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Recreation, Amusements and Attractions pathway.
A person in this career:
- Officiates at sporting events, games, or competitions, to maintain standards of play and to ensure that game rules are observed.
- Signals participants or other officials to make them aware of infractions or to otherwise regulate play or competition.
- Inspects sporting equipment and/or examines participants in order to ensure compliance with event and safety regulations.
- Keeps track of event times, including race times and elapsed time during game segments, starting or stopping play when necessary.
- Judges performances in sporting competitions in order to award points, impose scoring penalties, and determine results.
- Starts races and competitions.
- Resolves claims of rule infractions or complaints by participants and assesses any necessary penalties, according to regulations.
- Confers with other sporting officials, coaches, players, and facility managers in order to provide information, coordinate activities, and discuss problems.
- Directs participants to assigned areas such as starting blocks or penalty areas.
- Verifies scoring calculations before competition winners are announced.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.