Prepares incoming and outgoing mail for distribution. Uses hand or mail handling machines to time stamp, open, read, sort, and route incoming mail; and address, seal, stamp, fold, stuff, and affix postage to outgoing mail or packages. Duties may also include keeping necessary records and completed forms.
This career is part of the Business, Management and Administration cluster Administrative Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Seals or opens envelopes, by hand or by using machines.
- Affixes postage to packages or letters by hand, or stamp materials, using postage meters.
- Verifies that items are addressed correctly, marked with the proper postage, and in suitable condition for processing.
- Places incoming or outgoing letters or packages into sacks or bins based on destination or type, and places identifying tags on sacks or bins.
- Clears jams in sortation equipment.
- Weighs packages or letters to determine postage needed, using weighing scales and rate charts.
- Sorts and routes incoming mail, and collects outgoing mail, using carts as necessary.
- Determines manner in which mail is to be sent, and prepares it for delivery to mailing facilities.
- Lifts and unloads containers of mail or parcels onto equipment for transportation to sortation stations.
- Wraps packages or bundles by hand, or by using tying machines.