Inspects agricultural commodities, processing equipment, and facilities, and fish and logging operations, to ensure compliance with regulations and laws governing health, quality, and safety.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster Regulation pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects food products and processing procedures to determine whether products are safe to eat.
- Interprets and enforces government acts and regulations and explains required standards to agricultural workers.
- Sets standards for the production of meat or poultry products or for food ingredients, additives, or compounds used to prepare or package products.
- Inspects agricultural commodities or related operations, as well as fish or logging operations, for compliance with laws and regulations governing health, quality, and safety.
- Labels and seals graded products and issues official grading certificates.
- Monitors the operations and sanitary conditions of slaughtering or meat processing plants.
- Takes emergency actions, such as closing production facilities, if product safety is compromised.
- Verifies that transportation and handling procedures meet regulatory requirements.
- Inspects the cleanliness and practices of establishment employees.
- Examines, weighs, and measures commodities, such as poultry, eggs, meat, or seafood to certify qualities, grades, and weights.