Inspects the handling, storage, and stowing of freight and cargoes.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster Governance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Prepares and submits reports after completion of freight shipments.
- Inspects shipments to ensure that freight is securely braced and blocked.
- Records details about freight conditions, handling of freight, and any problems encountered.
- Advises crews in techniques of stowing dangerous and heavy cargo.
- Observes loading of freight to ensure that crews comply with procedures.
- Recommends remedial procedures to correct any violations found during inspections.
- Inspects loaded cargo, cargo lashed to decks or in storage facilities, and cargo handling devices to determine compliance with health and safety regulations and need for maintenance.
- Measures ships' holds and depths of fuel and water in tanks, using sounding lines and tape measures.
- Notifies workers of any special treatment required for shipments.
- Directs crews to reload freight or to insert additional bracing or packing as necessary.