Operates pile drivers mounted on skids, barges, crawler treads, or locomotive cranes to drive pilings for retaining walls, bulkheads, and foundations of structures, such as buildings, bridges, and piers.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Moves hand and foot levers of hoisting equipment to position piling leads, hoist piling into leads, and position hammers over pilings.
- Conducts pre-operational checks on equipment to ensure proper functioning.
- Drives pilings to provide support for buildings or other structures, using heavy equipment with a pile driver head.
- Moves levers and turns valves to activate power hammers, or to raise and lower drophammers that drive piles to required depths.
- Cleans, lubricates, and refills equipment.