Erects and repairs fences and fence gates, using hand and power tools.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Establishes the location for a fence, and gathers information needed to ensure that there are no electric cables or water lines in the area.
- Aligns posts, using lines or by sighting, and verifies vertical alignment of posts, using plumb bobs or spirit levels.
- Measures and lays out fence lines and marks posthole positions, following instructions, drawings, or specifications.
- Digs postholes, using spades, posthole diggers, or power-driven augers.
- Sets metal or wooden posts in upright positions in postholes.
- Mixes and pours concrete around bases of posts, or tamp soil into postholes to embed posts.
- Discusses fencing needs with customers, and estimates and quotes prices.
- Makes rails for fences, by sawing lumber or by cutting metal tubing to required lengths.
- Nails top and bottom rails to fence posts, or inserts them in slots on posts.
- Stretches wire, wire mesh, or chain link fencing between posts, and attaches fencing to frames.