Takes orders and serves food and beverages to patrons in dining establishments.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Restaurants and Food/Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Checks with customers to ensure that they are enjoying their meals and take action to correct any problems.
- Collects payments from customers.
- Writes patrons' food orders on order slips, memorizes orders, or enters orders into computers for transmittal to kitchen staff.
- Prepares checks that itemize and total meal costs and sales taxes.
- Takes orders from patrons for food or beverages.
- Checks patrons' identification to ensure that they meet minimum age requirements for consumption of alcoholic beverages.
- Serves food or beverages to patrons, and prepares or serves specialty dishes at tables as required.
- Presents menus to patrons and answers questions about menu items, making recommendations upon request.
- Cleans tables or counters after patrons have finished dining.
- Prepares hot, cold, and mixed drinks for patrons, and chills bottles of wine.