Performs standardized qualitative and quantitative tests to determine physical or chemical properties of food or beverage products.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Food Products and Processing Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Records or compiles test results or prepares graphs, charts, or reports.
- Conducts standardized tests on food, beverages, additives, or preservatives to ensure compliance with standards and regulations regarding factors such as color, texture, or nutrients.
- Maintains records of testing results or other documents as required by state or other governing agencies.
- Tastes or smells foods or beverages to ensure that flavors meet specifications or to select samples with specific characteristics.
- Monitors and controls temperature of products.
- Computes moisture or salt content, percentages of ingredients, formulas, or other product factors, using mathematical and chemical procedures.
- Performs regular maintenance of laboratory equipment by inspecting, calibrating, cleaning, or sterilizing.
- Analyzes test results to classify products or compare results with standard tables.
- Provides assistance to food scientists or technologists in research and development, production technology, or quality control.
- Trains newly hired laboratory personnel.