Maintains highways, municipal and rural roads, airport runways, and rights-of-way. Duties include patching broken or eroded pavement, repairing guard rails, highway markers, and snow fences. May also mow or clear brush from along road or plow snow from roadway.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Maintenance/Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Flags motorists to warn them of obstacles or repair work ahead.
- Sets out signs and cones around work areas to divert traffic.
- Performs preventative maintenance on vehicles and heavy equipment.
- Drives heavy equipment and vehicles with adjustable attachments to sweep debris from paved surfaces, mow grass and weeds, remove snow and ice, and spread salt and sand.
- Drives trucks to transport crews and equipment to work sites.
- Hauls and spreads sand, gravel, and clay to fill washouts and repair road shoulders.
- Dumps, spreads, and tamps asphalt, using pneumatic tampers, to repair joints and patch broken pavement.
- Cleans and clears debris from culverts, catch basins, drop inlets, ditches, and other drain structures.
- Removes litter and debris from roadways, including debris from rock and mud slides.
- Erects, installs, or repairs guardrails, road shoulders, berms, highway markers, warning signals, and highway lighting, using hand tools and power tools.