Assembles or repairs oil field equipment using hand and power tools. Performs other tasks as needed.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Keeps pipe deck and main deck areas clean and tidy.
- Unscrews and tightens pipes, casings, tubing and pump rods, using hand and power wrenches and tongs.
- Walks flow lines to locate leaks, using electronic detectors and by making visual inspections, and repairs the leaks.
- Moves pipes to and from trucks, using truck winches and motorized lifts, or by hand.
- Bolts together pump and engine parts.
- Guides cranes to move loads about decks.
- Supplies equipment to rig floors as requested, and provides assistance to roughnecks.
- Dismantles and repairs oil field machinery, boilers and steam engine parts, using hand tools and power tools.
- Cleans up spilled oil by bailing it into barrels.
- Digs drainage ditches around wells and storage tanks.