Prepares tax returns for individuals or small businesses.
This career is part of the Finance cluster Business Finance pathway.
A person in this career:
- Uses all appropriate adjustments, deductions, and credits to keep clients' taxes to a minimum.
- Interviews clients to obtain additional information on taxable income and deductible expenses and allowances.
- Prepares or assists in preparing simple to complex tax returns for individuals or small businesses.
- Computes taxes owed or overpaid, using adding machines or personal computers, and completes entries on forms, following tax form instructions and tax tables.
- Furnishes taxpayers with sufficient information and advice to ensure correct tax form completion.
- Checks data input or verifies totals on forms prepared by others to detect errors in arithmetic, data entry, or procedures.
- Consults tax law handbooks or bulletins to determine procedures for preparation of atypical returns.
- Calculates form preparation fees according to return complexity and processing time required.
- Answers questions and provides future tax planning to clients.
- Explains federal and state tax laws to individuals and companies.