Seals joints between plasterboard or other wallboard to prepare wall surface for painting or papering.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Spreads sealing compound between boards or panels or over cracks, holes, nail heads, or screw heads, using trowels, broadknives, or spatulas.
- Presses paper tape over joints to embed tape into sealing compound and to seal joints.
- Applies additional coats to fill in holes and make surfaces smooth.
- Seals joints between plasterboard or other wallboard to prepare wall surfaces for painting or papering.
- Spreads and smooths cementing material over tape, using trowels or floating machines to blend joints with wall surfaces.
- Sands or patches nicks or cracks in plasterboard or wallboard.
- Mixes sealing compounds by hand or with portable electric mixers.
- Works on high ceilings using scaffolding or other tools, such as stilts.
- Selects the correct sealing compound or tape.
- Countersinks nails or screws below surfaces of walls before applying sealing compounds, using hammers or screwdrivers.