Operates self-propelled mining machines that rip coal, metal and nonmetal ores, rock, stone, or sand from the mining surface, and loads it onto conveyors or into shuttle cars in a continuous operation.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Determines locations, boundaries, and depths of holes or channels to be cut.
- Repositions machines to make additional holes or cuts.
- Operates mining machines to gather coal and convey it to floors or shuttle cars.
- Drives machines into position at working faces.
- Moves controls to start and regulate movement of conveyors and to start and position drill cutters or torches.
- Observes and listens to equipment operation to detect binding or stoppage of tools or other equipment malfunctions.
- Repairs, oils, and adjusts machines, and changes cutting teeth, using wrenches.
- Moves levers to raise and lower hydraulic safety bars supporting roofs above machines until other workers complete framing.
- Installs casings to prevent cave-ins.
- Guides and assists crews laying track and resetting supports and blocking.