Mixes and serves drinks to patrons, directly or through wait staff.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Restaurants and Food/Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Collects money for drinks served.
- Checks identification of customers to verify age requirements for purchase of alcohol.
- Cleans glasses, utensils, and bar equipment.
- Balances cash receipts.
- Attempts to limit problems and liability related to customers' excessive drinking by taking steps such as persuading customers to stop drinking, or ordering taxis or other transportation for intoxicated patrons.
- Stocks bar with beer, wine, liquor, and related supplies such as ice, glassware, napkins, or straws.
- Serves wine, and bottled or draft beer.
- Takes beverage orders from serving staff or directly from patrons.
- Cleans bars, work areas, and tables.
- Mixes ingredients, such as liquor, soda, water, sugar, and bitters, to prepare cocktails and other drinks.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.