Performs any combination of light cleaning duties to maintain private households or commercial establishments, such as hotels and hospitals, in a clean and orderly manner. Duties may include making beds, replenishing linens, cleaning rooms and halls, and vacuuming.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Lodging pathway.
A person in this career:
- Carries linens, towels, toilet items, and cleaning supplies, using wheeled carts.
- Disinfects equipment and supplies, using germicides or steam-operated sterilizers.
- Cleans rooms, hallways, lobbies, lounges, restrooms, corridors, elevators, stairways, locker rooms, and other work areas so that health standards are met.
- Empties wastebaskets, empties and cleans ashtrays, and transports other trash and waste to disposal areas.
- Observes precautions required to protect hotel and guest property and reports damage, theft, and found articles to supervisors.
- Replenishes supplies, such as drinking glasses, linens, writing supplies, and bathroom items.
- Cleans rugs, carpets, upholstered furniture, and draperies, using vacuum cleaners and shampooers.
- Dusts and polishes furniture and equipment.
- Keeps storage areas and carts well-stocked, clean, and tidy.
- Washes windows, walls, ceilings, and woodwork, waxing and polishing as necessary.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.