Examines, inspects, and tests metal parts on military equipment, such as airplanes and submarines, for stress damage and wear.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster National Security pathway.
A person in this career:
- Inspects metal parts and joints for wear and damage.
- Takes X-rays of aircraft and ship parts.
- Examines X-ray film to detect cracks and flaws in metal parts and welds.
- Operates ultrasonic, atomic absorption, and other kinds of test equipment.
- Conducts oil analysis and heat damage tests to detect engine wear.
- Prepares inspection reports.