Teaches one or more subjects, such as English, mathematics, or social studies, to students in public or private school at the secondary level. May be designated according to subject matter specialty, such as typing instructors, commercial teachers, or English teachers.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching/Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Establishes and enforces rules for behavior and procedures for maintaining order among students.
- Instructs through lectures, discussions, and demonstrations in one or more subjects, such as English, mathematics, or social studies.
- Adapts teaching methods and instructional materials to meet students' varying needs and interests.
- Maintains accurate and complete student records as required by laws, district policies, and administrative regulations.
- Enforces all administration policies and rules governing students.
- Assigns and grades class work and homework.
- Prepares materials and classrooms for class activities.
- Observes and evaluates students' performance, behavior, social development, and physical health.
- Plans and conducts activities for a balanced program of instruction, demonstration, and work time that provides students with opportunities to observe, question, and investigate.
- Prepares, administers, and grades tests and assignments to evaluate students' progress.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.