Auditions and interviews performers to select the most appropriate talent for parts in stage, television, radio, or motion picture productions.
This career is part of the Arts, Audio-Video Technology and Communications cluster Performing Arts pathway.
A person in this career:
- Reviews performer information, such as photos, resumes, voice tapes, videos, and union membership, to decide whom to audition for parts.
- Reads scripts and confers with producers to determine the types and numbers of performers required for a given production.
- Selects performers for roles or submits lists of suitable performers to producers or directors for final selection.
- Auditions and interviews performers to match their attributes to specific roles or to increase the pool of available acting talent.
- Maintains talent files that include information such as performers' specialties, past performances, and availability.
- Prepares actors for auditions by providing scripts and information about roles and casting requirements.
- Serves as liaisons between directors, actors, and agents.
- Attends or views productions to maintain knowledge of available actors.
- Negotiates contract agreements with performers, with agents, or between performers and agents or production companies.
- Contacts agents and actors to provide notification of audition and performance opportunities and to set up audition times.