Teaches courses pertaining to education, such as counseling, curriculum, guidance, instruction, teacher education, and teaching English as a second language. Includes both teachers primarily engaged in teaching and those who do a combination of teaching and research.
This career is part of the Education and Training cluster Teaching/Training pathway.
A person in this career:
- Initiates, facilitates, and moderates classroom discussions.
- Supervises students' fieldwork, internship, and research work.
- Keeps abreast of developments in the field by reading current literature, talking with colleagues, and participating in professional conferences.
- Prepares and delivers lectures to undergraduate or graduate students on topics such as children's literature, learning and development, and reading instruction.
- Evaluates and grades students' class work, assignments, and papers.
- Prepares course materials, such as syllabi, homework assignments, and handouts.
- Conducts research in a particular field of knowledge and publishes findings in professional journals, books, or electronic media.
- Collaborates with colleagues to address teaching and research issues.
- Advises students on academic and vocational curricula and on career issues.
- Plans, evaluates, and revises curricula, course content, course materials, and methods of instruction.