Determines eligibility of persons applying to receive assistance from government programs and agency resources, such as welfare, unemployment benefits, social security, and public housing.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster Public Management and Administration pathway.
A person in this career:
- Answers applicants' questions about benefits and claim procedures.
- Interviews benefits recipients at specified intervals to certify their eligibility for continuing benefits.
- Interprets and explains information such as eligibility requirements, application details, payment methods, and applicants' legal rights.
- Initiates procedures to grant, modify, deny, or terminate assistance, or refers applicants to other agencies for assistance.
- Compiles, records, and evaluates personal and financial data to verify completeness and accuracy, and to determine eligibility status.
- Interviews and investigates applicants for public assistance to gather information pertinent to their applications.
- Checks with employers or other references to verify answers and obtain further information.
- Schedules benefits claimants for adjudication interviews to address questions of eligibility.
- Keeps records of assigned cases, and prepares required reports.
- Prepares applications and forms for applicants for such purposes as school enrollment, employment, and medical services.