Operates or tends hoists or winches to lift and pull loads using power-operated cable equipment.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Moves levers, pedals, and throttles to stop, start, and regulate speeds of hoist or winch drums in response to hand, bell, buzzer, telephone, loud-speaker, or whistle signals, or by observing dial indicators or cable marks.
- Starts engines of hoists or winches and uses levers and pedals to wind or unwind cable on drums.
- Observes equipment gauges and indicators and hand signals of other workers to verify load positions or depths.
- Operates compressed air, diesel, electric, gasoline, or steam-driven hoists or winches to control movement of cableways, cages, derricks, draglines, loaders, railcars, or skips.
- Moves or repositions hoists, winches, loads and materials, manually or using equipment and machines such as trucks, cars, and hand trucks.
- Selects loads or materials according to weight and size specifications.
- Signals and assists other workers loading or unloading materials.
- Attaches, fastens, and disconnects cables or lines to loads, materials, and equipment, using hand tools.
- Applies hand or foot brakes and moves levers to lock hoists or winches.
- Oils winch drums so that cables will wind smoothly.