Assembles, installs, alters, and repairs pipelines or pipe systems that carry water, steam, air, or other liquids or gases. May install heating and cooling equipment and mechanical control systems.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Assembles pipe sections, tubing, or fittings, using couplings, clamps, screws, bolts, cement, plastic solvent, caulking, or soldering, brazing, or welding equipment.
- Installs pipe assemblies, fittings, valves, appliances such as dishwashers or water heaters, or fixtures such as sinks or toilets, using hand or power tools.
- Keeps records of work assignments.
- Fills pipes or plumbing fixtures with water or air and observes pressure gauges to detect and locate leaks.
- Maintains or repairs plumbing by replacing defective washers, replacing or mending broken pipes, or opening clogged drains.
- Directs helpers engaged in pipe cutting, preassembly, or installation of plumbing systems or components.
- Locates and marks the position of pipe installations, connections, passage holes, or fixtures in structures, using measuring instruments such as rulers or levels.
- Measures, cuts, threads, or bends pipe to required angle, using hand or power tools or machines such as pipe cutters, pipe-threading machines, or pipe-bending machines.
- Reviews blueprints, building codes, or specifications to determine work details or procedures.
- Estimates time, material, or labor costs for use in project plans.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.