Installs or repairs solar energy systems designed to collect, store and circulate solar-heated water for residential, commercial or industrial use.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Maintenance/Operations pathway.
A person in this career:
- Tests operation or functionality of mechanical, plumbing, electrical, and control systems.
- Applies weather seal, such as pipe flashings and sealants, to roof penetrations and structural devices.
- Installs solar collector mounting devices on tile, asphalt, shingle, or built-up gravel roofs, using appropriate materials and penetration methods.
- Installs copper or plastic plumbing using pipes, fittings, pipe cutters, acetylene torches, solder, wire brushes, sand cloths, flux, plastic pipe cleaners, or plastic glue.
- Identifies plumbing, electrical, environmental, or safety hazards associated with solar thermal installations.
- Demonstrates start-up, shut-down, maintenance, diagnostic, and safety procedures to thermal system owners.
- Installs flat-plat, evacuated glass, or concentrating solar collectors on mounting devices, using brackets or struts.
- Installs circulating pumps using pipe, fittings, soldering equipment, electrical supplies, and hand tools.
- Installs solar thermal system controllers and sensors.
- Fills water tanks and checks tanks, pipes, and fittings for leaks.