Collects and dumps refuse or recyclable materials from containers into truck. May drive truck.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Environmental Service Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Operates automated or semi-automated hoisting devices that raise refuse bins and dump contents into openings in truck bodies.
- Inspects trucks prior to beginning routes to ensure safe operating condition.
- Drives trucks, following established routes, through residential streets or alleys or through business or industrial areas.
- Operates equipment that compresses collected refuse.
- Dumps refuse or recyclable materials at disposal sites.
- Dismounts garbage trucks to collect garbage and remounts trucks to ride to the next collection point.
- Refuels trucks or adds other fluids, such as oil or brake fluid.
- Fills out defective equipment reports.
- Communicates with dispatchers concerning delays, unsafe sites, accidents, equipment breakdowns, or other maintenance problems.
- Checks road or weather conditions to determine how routes will be affected.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.