Assesses and treats persons with speech, language, voice, and fluency disorders. May select alternative communication systems and teach their use. May perform research related to speech and language problems.
This career is part of the Health Science cluster Therapeutic Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Monitors patients' progress and adjusts treatments accordingly.
- Develops or implements treatment plans for problems such as stuttering, delayed language, swallowing disorders, or inappropriate pitch or harsh voice problems, based on own assessments and recommendations of physicians, psychologists, or social workers.
- Writes reports and maintains proper documentation of information, such as client Medicaid or billing records or caseload activities, including the initial evaluation, treatment, progress, and discharge of clients.
- Evaluates hearing or speech and language test results, barium swallow results, or medical or background information to diagnose and plan treatment for speech, language, fluency, voice, or swallowing disorders.
- Participates in and writes reports for meetings regarding patients' progress, such as individualized educational planning (IEP) meetings, in-service meetings, or intervention assistance team meetings.
- Completes administrative responsibilities, such as coordinating paperwork, scheduling case management activities, or writing lesson plans.
- Develops individual or group activities or programs in schools to deal with behavior, speech, language, or swallowing problems.
- Instructs clients in techniques for more effective communication, such as sign language, lip reading, or voice improvement.
- Administers hearing or speech and language evaluations, tests, or examinations to patients to collect information on type and degree of impairments, using written or oral tests or special instruments.
- Educates patients and family members about various topics, such as communication techniques or strategies to cope with or to avoid personal misunderstandings.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.