Uses nets, fishing rods, traps, or other equipment to catch and gather fish or other aquatic animals from rivers, lakes, or oceans, for human consumption or other uses. May haul game onto ship.
This career is part of the Agriculture, Food and Natural Resources cluster Natural Resource Systems pathway.
A person in this career:
- Steers vessels and operates navigational instruments.
- Puts fishing equipment into the water and anchors or tows equipment, according to the fishing method used.
- Maintains engines, fishing gear, and other on-board equipment and performs minor repairs.
- Sorts, packs, and stores catch in holds with salt and ice.
- Removes catches from fishing equipment and measures them to ensure compliance with legal size.
- Locates fish, using fish-finding equipment.
- Returns undesirable or illegal catches to the water.
- Pulls and guides nets, traps, and lines onto vessels, by hand or using hoisting equipment.
- Directs fishing operations, and supervises fishing crew members.
- Signals other workers to move, hoist, and position loads.
Dig into the details and check
out what people in this job
have to say about their work.