Repairs, constructs, and inspects ships while working under water. Usually specializes either as a scuba diver, who works just below the surface, or as a deep sea diver, who may work for long periods of time in depths up to 300 feet.
This career is part of the Government and Public Administration cluster National Security pathway.
A person in this career:
- Performs search and rescue activities.
- Recovers sunken equipment.
- Patrols the waters below ships at anchor.
- Inspects, cleans, and repairs ship propellers and hulls.
- Assists with underwater construction of piers and harbor facilities.
- Surveys rivers, beaches, and harbors for underwater obstacles.
- Uses explosives to clear underwater obstacles.
- Conducts underwater research.