Lays pipe for storm or sanitation sewers, drains, and water mains. Performs any combination of the following tasks: grade trenches or culverts, position pipe, or seal joints.
This career is part of the Architecture and Construction cluster Construction pathway.
A person in this career:
- Installs or uses instruments such as lasers, grade rods, or transit levels.
- Cuts pipes to required lengths.
- Covers pipes with earth or other materials.
- Connects pipe pieces and seal joints, using welding equipment, cement, or glue.
- Installs or repairs sanitary or stormwater sewer structures or pipe systems.
- Aligns and positions pipes to prepare them for welding or sealing.
- Checks slopes for conformance to requirements, using levels or lasers.
- Lays out pipe routes, following written instructions or blueprints and coordinating layouts with supervisors.
- Grades or levels trench bases, using tamping machines or hand tools.
- Operates mechanized equipment, such as pickup trucks, rollers, tandem dump trucks, front-end loaders, or backhoes.