Performs a variety of food preparation duties other than cooking, such as preparing cold foods and shellfish, slicing meat, and brewing coffee or tea.
This career is part of the Hospitality and Tourism cluster Restaurants and Food/Beverage Services pathway.
A person in this career:
- Cleans and sanitizes work areas, equipment, utensils, dishes, or silverware.
- Stores food in designated containers and storage areas to prevent spoilage.
- Prepares a variety of foods, such as meats, vegetables, or desserts, according to customers' orders or supervisors' instructions, following approved procedures.
- Takes and records temperature of food and food storage areas, such as refrigerators and freezers.
- Washes, peels, and cuts various foods, such as fruits and vegetables, to prepare for cooking or serving.
- Places food trays over food warmers for immediate service, or stores them in refrigerated storage cabinets.
- Portions and wraps the food, or places it directly on plates for service to patrons.
- Weighs or measures ingredients.
- Mixes ingredients for green salads, molded fruit salads, vegetable salads, and pasta salads.
- Receives and stores food supplies, equipment, and utensils in refrigerators, cupboards, and other storage areas.